Monday, November 8, 2010

Interests

One beautiful thing about humans is the fact that we have unique interests. We may have similar interests to another, but there will always be something that differs, or the rankings of these interests will always be different. For instance, I know many people who like music, languages, English literature (specifically poetry) and other things that I'm interested in, but nobody to the same degree as I. I may like music more and languages less, or literature more and music less (but I doubt that...)

But there are also times when I regret this fact. For instance, if I were to make a playlist full of very applicable, emotional, and beautiful songs for someone that I care about, it's quite possible that this idea, however thoughtful, would not actually mean that much to the person. No matter how many times I urge, "Listen to the lyrics of this part, seriously" it will quite probably go unappreciated.

Or if I find a poem that really speaks to me, and I show someone who is also into poetry, he may not actually enjoy the poem. He may even just pass it off as another poem, even though I'm silently shouting at this person the realize the beauty of the intricacies, nuances, and ideas of the poem. Sigh.

But this is when thoughtfulness comes into play. If I want another person to appreciate the beauty of something, I have to pay attention to their own interests. I have to study them as a person and realize what exactly they find beautiful or truly inspiring. And when this is done properly, and I bring something to their attention that they love, it is one of the most amazing feelings in the world.

And still, at times I wish everybody loved what I love. But then I realize that if everyone did love what I love, I would no longer have anything to distinguish me.

That was a bit messy, but I think I got everything down.

4 comments:

  1. I like the rough edges to this. And your main point is really applicable to artists of any kind (the usefulness of this concept for writing in particular jumped out at me).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely relate. And I really like your third-to-last paragraph - great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am guilty of passing on music that definitely only interests me, at times. I just want so badly for someone to appreciate some things the same way I do! Sometimes I appreciate how a song is written. Sometimes I appreciate the talent a song takes, and how complex it is. Sometimes, I find something comical that others don't find so funny. Lately though, I have been thinking more of others' interests as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Brian, I know what you mean. I think you really have to know someone in order to realize that even though you don't particularly like a certain song, they would love it. But again, when it happens, a pretty awesome feeling occurs.

    ReplyDelete